Thursday, May 7, 2009

Personal Poem

And you tapped my table to say farewell,
here in Peoria at my place of employment.
I have only this cup of coffee, iced,
and a cornucopia of useless books
spread across the table like thanksgiving,
supposedly here to help me climb mount everest,
if mount everest were a term paper

let us now muse about mountains,
of climbing uphill, stumbling upon rocks (metaphors!)
and belligerent individuals,
or possibly sasquatch,
or possibly you,
(no not table tapping you,
the other you the you I ran into
or rather the you that ran into me)

I was not climbing, dearest you that ran into me
I was only sitting here, unguarded
having thanksgiving
and watching the sky get darker

if I ever climb mount everest
I would like to encounter sasquatch
yes that would be preferable
to an interrupted thanksgiving

and any real or metaphorical rocks--even diamonds
monsters like Big Foot usually have a heart of gold
instead of
a gold face with the heart of a monster
instead of
diamonds which are only unbreakable

it’s going to rain,
I can tell
because the cars have all turned on their headlights
I count the turn signals
and I think, anything that doesn’t break
must not be worth it

No comments:

Post a Comment